What is a Co Wash Anyway?!?
So, What is a Co Wash Anyway?!
For those that fully understand what a gentle cleanser should be, we know the co wash to be the holy grail. For others who are asking the question “What is a co wash anyway?!?” Stick around and we’ll explain why co washing is a vital Natural hair-care process to have in your regimen and how to do it.
Co wash explained.
What is a co wash? Short for “conditioner washing”, co wash is the use of conditioners or conditioner-based cleansers to clean the hair and scalp instead of using a clarifying shampoo. As much as clarifying shampoos get the cleaning job done, they also leave hair dry and stripped of its natural oils. Co washing cleanses but, because it’s a conditioner-based cleanser, leaves the nutrients in the hair keeping it moisturized and more manageable.
Can anyone use a co wash?
Well, yes and no. Unfortunately, not all hair types respond well to co washes. Kinky, curly, coily and even wavy hair are the best candidates for co washing because they are naturally more porous than other hair types and are more apt to absorb and retain moisture, compared to washing with a shampoo. The fact that a co wash can be used on relaxed and even color treated hair is a bonus.
Swimmers and gym-goers are generally more regular sweaters, are exposed to the elements and dirt more often and tend to wash their hair more often, making them prime candidates for the co wash. They tend to be more often in need of a quick but complete cleanse. The best part is, with a gentle co wash, you can wash practically every day between shampoos.
Can any conditioner be used as a co wash?
Well, yes but look for a NATURAL co wash (not a chemical one) because natural co washes contain mild surfactants that cleanse your hair in ways a non-natural conditioner does not. Also remember to keep an eye out for any conditioners with silicones as they cause unnecessary and unwanted build up that does more harm than good.
BEWARE! Not all co washes are conditioners.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best cleansing and pH balancing treatments there is! Not only does Apple Cider Vinegar contain acidic properties, (alpha hydroxy acid/ AHA) great for exfoliating the scalp, but also adds luster and shine.
Apple cider vinegar also has natural anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that prevent and kill dandruff-causing yeast on the scalp. It does not lather at all, and actually most co washes don’t lather because of their lack of a strong surfactant ingredient. The fact that co washes don’t lather isn’t a problem however because lack of lather does not mean lack of cleansing.
ACV’s anti-inflammatory properties also help soothe all kinds of irritations and incessant scalp itching. Always make sure that you use a diluted ACV though, as using it in strong concentrations may do more harm than good.
The pros and cons of co-washing.
- Co washing helps define curl patterns because it helps the hair retain moisture.
- More moisture means less frizz and fewer tangles which translates to less breakage and length retention.
- Detangling is a walk in the park since conditioners have great slip.
- Build-up. There will be slight product build up since hair is clean but clean with a conditioner.
- Possibly too much moisture. Since conditioners don’t strip but add more moisture, too much can cause “moisture overload”. Always remember to include a good cleansing shampoo periodically in your regimen to curb this issue.
- Finally, there is the issue of feeling the need to wash your hair if you haven’t used a shampoo cleanse recently.
How to co-wash.
- Saturate your hair with water (warm water is best if you have low porosity hair) .This helps to soak and loosen the dirt and debris while readying it for the cleanser.
- Use a substantially generous amount of conditioner on your hands. This is because you’ll need to FULLY cover you hair from roots to ends to get the desired results. Remember that this is not for conditioning alone but for cleansing as well.
- Massage the conditioner into your scalp and work it down to the roots. Now the cleansing part begins. Be extra gentle on your scalp by using your fingertips (NO NAILS ALLOWED). Using your fingertips helps break down the excess oils and product in your hair allowing for a cleaner wash.
- Rinse. Rinse. Rinse. Make sure that you rinse out all the conditioner! Rinse until the water turns clear and all the conditioner and dirt is gone.
- Wash with your clarifying shampoo every 2 to 4 weeks. At the end of each cycle build-up can be common from dirt, sweat and even styling products. Besides, a co wash is only part of the routine of thoroughly cleansing your hair. Heavy products like petroleum are dense and are not as easily washed out so please include a clarifying shampoo to complete the co wash process.
The EBAN Takeaway
Although co washes are great and can be done by everyone, they are most effective if you follow certain rules. Start with warm fresh water, coat your hair fully, work in with FINGERTIPS, rinse thoroughly and periodically use a good natural clarifying shampoo. Remember to take it easy on your hair by detangling softly, when your hair is still wet and use a wide tooth comb.
The EBAN Cleanse Co Wash
Finding a good co wash can be tough, especially if you aren’t fond of product hunting or experimenting with new methods. That’s why EBAN created it’s Co Wash Conditioner Quick Clean Duo specifically for Black women with Natural hair who swim and sweat.
EBAN Cleanse co wash is a no-lather, pH balance restoring, all natural co wash ideal for removing sweat, salt and product build-up while leaving hair clean but not stripped. It contains Aloe Vera, Coconut oil and Apple Cider Vinegar which combine to gently wash away any kind of product build-up and dirt. It includes Argan oil too, which is great for reconditioning dry and damaged hair. It’s great for those who work out and swim regularly and it also works for less active people too.
EBAN Cleanse co wash is perfect for your post-workout “quick cleanse” routine (even on a daily basis) to avoid the “gym hair” syndrome. The real jewel is, since hair your hair is both cleansed and conditioned, you won’t need as many styling products to achieve a great look.
Give EBAN Cleanse co wash a try today. Never tried EBAN before? Use the code ‘firsttime’ for a 25% discount. Be sure to let us know your results!